Laura Slader is a Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist in Neurology. She founded Laura Slader Independent Occupational Therapy Services Ltd in 2009. The company is now well established in the medico-legal and private insurance areas, and is also contracted to provide in-patient rehabilitation.
Laura’s career began when she graduated as an Occupational Therapist in 1993 from the West London Institute of Education (Brunel University). Her first full-time position at St Mary’s Hospital, London, was the start of a varied career in many areas of occupational therapy including oncology, musculoskeletal, accident & emergency, neurology and intermediate care; working predominantly in London hospitals and communities.
From 1996 – during her years abroad working in Australia, South Africa and Saudi Arabia – Laura specialised in neurology, both physical dysfunction and brain injury. On returning to the UK, she continued to work in London community rehabilitation teams that specialised in neurology and intermediate care.
Laura has been fortunate enough to work with expert therapists and received specialist training including Bobath, Carr & Shepherd, and Rood during her years as a practising therapist. She has developed an eclectic style, tailor-making the best approach to meet the neurological client’s identified needs.
Laura is passionate about helping people improve their quality of life. She maintains her continuous professional development through:
- Regular attendance of appropriate courses and conferences
- Providing presentations and training to a variety of professional groups and businesses
- Being a member of an allied health peer support group
- Providing regular and structured supervision to junior occupational therapists working in independent practice
- Continuing to receive regular mentoring herself
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Full professional membership of British Association of Occupational Therapy
- Registered with the Health Professional Council
- Member of the Occupational Therapist Specialist Section for Neurological Practice and Occupational Therapists in Private Practice
- COTAS (College of Occupational Therapy Advisory Section) registered
- BUPA recognised
- AMPs calibrated
- Laura also holds an NVQ assessor qualification